One of my biggest goals as an educator is to help instill a love of reading and create lifelong readers. One of the ways that I work to do this is through daily read alouds. I pick books which I am genuinely enthusiastic about and engage students in conversations about the characters, the theme or message in the book, connections we might have to the book, predictions and the questions the book creates for us. I have a basket where I keep my personal favorites and I encourage children to become a "collector" of their favorites.
I thought that I would share some of the titles with you so that you might talk about them at home in the evening. Here are some of the books we have shared together so far:
The Sandwich Swap, Queen Rania and Kelly Dipuchio
A great story about two little girls (Lily and Salma) who are best friends. They love to do everything together but they don't quite understand each other's taste in food. They come to learn that it's okay to have differences and that they can still be friends.
I Need My Monster, Amanda Noll
This book is filled with humor. One night, when Ethan goes to bed he looks under his bed for his monster Gabe. Instead of finding Gabe, he finds a note from him that he's "gone fishing". Because Ethan knows that he'll never get to sleep without a monster under his bed, he spends his evening interviewing substitute monsters. This book always has me laughing right along with my students. The illustrations are great too.
Counting Crocodiles, Judy Sierra
I used this book to introduce math one day. This story shows how a brave little monkey uses her counting skills to cross the crocodile filled waters of Sillabobble Sea. It is written in rhyme and is lots of fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment